I really love to paint with spray inks. I used Ranger Adirondack Color Wash, Ranger Dylusions spray ink, Tattered Angels mist and chalkboard sprays, along with my own sprays made with Tim Holtz Distress Inks and Precious Pearls powders.
First I primed the canvas with Golden gesso primer. Then I started spraying and drying with my heat tool. Layering and spraying more mist to add color and texture. Once I got the desired look I sprayed some sealer on the canvas. I used some ruffled fabric strips to add dimension. Gluing the strips with Claudine Helmuth multi medium. I really like how it works. It’s smoother than some adhesives or sealers drying less rough it that makes any sense.
I tried to stamp with Archival ink on two large flower stamps. They just don’t like the spring of the canvas, they slid and didn’t work very well. Then I tried with Pickett Fence Distress Stain and it left a little more of an outline but not the whole flower. It gave some interest, but not as much as I’d like.
In this picture you can see where I added Distress Crackle paint and flicked a little Perfect Pearls powder on top while it was wet.
Once I finished the background I started working on my embellishments. I had all sorts of butterflies from different manufacturers. I also cut some from Tim Holtz Grunge board using the Tim Holtz butterfly movers and shapers die from Sizzix. I sprayed mists on them randomly and used the heat tool to dry.
The large butterfly had open cutouts in its wings I decided to try the stain glass effect combined with the life saver cookie effect from my childhood. lol Didn’t you make cookies that you put lifesavers candy in the cutouts and they melted in the oven to make a sheet of “glass” inside the cookie shape?
For my effect I used Ranger Tim Holtz Rock Candy Distress Crackle paint all over the butterfly and openings while it was laying on a non stick craft sheet. I left it to dry over night and found a lacy crackled finish in the morning. One other thing that happened was the pieces of crackle that broke off were like pieces of decorative sugar. I used them on one of the other butterflies for more texture. So neat what you get when you experiment!
I attached the butterflies to the canvas with gem glue. Like used in beading on fabric.
When I had gotten this far I felt like the bottom of the canvas was too bare and I added some sprayed weeds or grass at the edge with a birch tree stencil and Fairway Chalkboard Mist from Tattered Angels.
The printing was done on canvas tape that I adhered to regular copy paper. First I figured out on Word what I wanted to say and what font , and size font I wanted to use. I eyeballed the size of the lettering to be smaller than the tape by a bit and I printed the page. Once the page was printed I just stuck the canvas tape over the printed area so when I ran the paper back through the printer it would print on the tape instead of the paper! Worked like a charm. Note: my printer pulls the paper up and over so you have to watch and see what direction it comes out of the printer to know how to place it back in with the tape on.
This was so much fun. I will have my finished canvas for sale at my etsy shop. www.IniniteCaboodles.Etsy.Com